North Pennines Stargazing Week
Star Art 2020
10 November 2020
Star Art 2020
… Children’s art competition to celebrate North Pennines Stargazing Week 2020
We’re on the lookout for talented young artists to enter our exciting competition. The North Pennines is the darkest mainland Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and as a result it is a fabulous place to stargaze. This year to mark North Pennines Stargazing Week in October Half Term we are launching Star Art 2020 – searching for art inspired by space, stars and the amazing dark night sky found in the North Pennines.
What to do?
Create a piece of art inspired by stargazing, the stars, the vastness of space, twinkling constellations, night walks, black holes, the Solar System, the Milky Way, comets and shooting stars – anything you like as long as it’s related to space and stargazing. Perhaps you could pick a favourite spot in the North Pennines and re-imagine it in the night-time.
Let your imagination run riot! Use paints, pastels, acrylics, pens, felt tips or pencils – any medium you like – even collages, using old textiles or scraps of paper.
Star Art 2020 is split into three age groups: under 8s; 8-12; and 13-18 years
How to enter?
Please email a photo of your artwork to email@example.com with the heading Star Art 2020 Competition. Don’t forget to tell us your age and include your contact details (your name, your parent/guardian’s name, email and phone number).
When you take your photograph please make sure you use natural lighting. If you take your image in dark conditions or using artificial light we may not be able to see your artwork at its best.
Hard copy artwork can also be submitted by post to: Star Art 2020 Competition, FAO: Shane Harris, North Pennines AONB Partnership, Weardale Business Centre, The Old Co-op Building, Stanhope, Bishop Auckland, Co. Durham DL13 2UY.
- The closing date for entries is 2 December 2020
The winner of each age group will receive a pair of 10×50 binoculars – which are ideal for stargazing. Runners up in each category will wins stargazing/astronomy books.
- We must receive your entries by Wednesday 2 December.
- We aim to inform all winners within 21 days of the closing date.
- All entrants must be under 19 and should ask permission from a parent or guardian before entering.
- Prizes are as advertised. No cash alternative will be offered.
- The AONB Partnership reserves the right to cancel the competition at any time, if deemed necessary.
- See Rules, Terms and Conditions for full details.
Star Art 2020: Rules, Terms and Conditions
- This competition is open to all UK residents aged under 19, except any employee of or person directly connected with the North Pennines AONB Partnership and their immediate family members. Proof of age may be required.
- Applicants under 18 must get consent from their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) before entering the competition. The parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of applicants under 18 agree to the Rules and Terms and Conditions on behalf of the applicants.
- The competition is free to enter and no purchase is necessary.
- The North Pennines AONB Partnership must receive entries by 11:59pm on Wednesday 2 December 2020. Any entry which is late, incomplete or inappropriate will be deemed invalid at the discretion of the AONB Partnership.
- The judges shall assess the entries and one winner and two runners-up from each age category (under 8, 8-12 and 13-18) will be selected. The judges’ decisions shall be final. No correspondence regarding the results will be entered into.
- The three winners (one in each age category) shall receive a pair of 10×50 binoculars and the six runners-up (two in each age category) will receive an astronomy book. The prizes will be sent to the winners and runners-up by post within 28 days of the winner responding to notification from the North Pennines AONB Partnership that they have won.
- The winners and runners-up will be notified by email or telephone (using the details provided at entry) within 21 days of a decision being made and must provide a postal address to claim their prize. If a winner or runner-up does not respond within 21 days of being notified, then they will forfeit their prize and a replacement winner or runner-up will be selected from the other applicants. The prize is non-exchangeable, non-transferable and no cash alternative is offered.
The winner’s name will be published on the AONB Partnership website and in associated publicity.
Please note hard copy entries cannot be returned unless a stamped addressed envelope is provided. Full copyright title remains with the author/owner of any entry. Please see the full Terms and Conditions below.
The AONB Partnership reserves the right to refuse entry or to refuse to award the prize to anyone in breach of the Rules or the Terms and Conditions or the spirit of the Rules or the Terms and Conditions.
Terms and Conditions
- By submitting an entry, you agree to be legally bound by the Rules and these Terms and Conditions.
- Any entry must be your original work and it must not infringe the rights of third parties including copyright, trademark, trade secrets, privacy, publicity, personal or proprietary rights. In addition, all entries must be produced legally without trespassing on any land and no wildlife or habitats should be harmed, put at risk or unduly disturbed in the process.
- Full copyright title shall be retained by the author of any entry. By submitting any entry to the North Pennines AONB Partnership (including any text, photographs, graphics, video or audio), you agree to grant the AONB Partnership a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive, sub-licensable right and worldwide license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, display and exercise all publicity rights with respect to your entry, and/or to incorporate your entry in other works, in any media now known or later developed for the full term of any rights that may exist in your entry.
- By submitting an entry, you agree to waive any moral rights contained in your entry. Any entry you provide shall be non-confidential.
- By submitting an entry, you agree the North Pennines AONB Partnership may use the material for any purpose and in any way it chooses, including, but not limited to, marketing, publicity, advertising and presentations.
- The North Pennines AONB Partnership shall not be liable for any direct, indirect or consequential loss or damage or for any costs, claims or demands of any nature whatsoever arising directly or indirectly out of the use of your entry or any part thereof.
- Insofar as is permitted by law, the North Pennines AONB Partnership will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the winner or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the prize, except where it is caused by the negligence of the AONB Partnership. Your statutory rights are not affected.
- The AONB Partnership reserves the right to update the Rules and these Terms and Conditions from time to time and any updated version will be effective as soon as it is published on www.northpennines.org.uk.
- The winner may be required to participate in publicity related to the competition which may include the publication of their name and photograph in any media. You agree that your personal data may be used for this purpose.
For the avoidance of doubt, by submitting your entry you warrant that all persons featured in your entry have given you their express consent for their image, voice or other details to be used and, in the case of vulnerable adults or persons under 18 years of age, you warrant that you have obtained express consent from their parent(s) or legal guardian(s).
This competition is governed by English law and English Courts have exclusive jurisdiction.