The second North Pennines Tourism Seminar was held in Melmerby on Monday 14 March 2016. The theme of the event was product development
It was a key opportunity to help shape the future direction for tourism in the North Pennines. Here’s the agenda.
Our keynote speaker was Blue Sail Marketing Associate Colette Walker – supported by the Northern Tourism Growth Fund. Colette set the scene with an overview of the opportunities that are available to businesses for international marketing. The rest of the morning was interactive and focussed on practical idea generation for tourism products suited to the North Pennines.
Roof of England
Delegates heard about a new initiative to develop and promote the North Pennines as a natural tourism destination from Cameron Gordon.
We heard about plans for a multi-million pound HLF-funded Landscape Partnership Scheme on the Eastern Fellside in Eastern Cumbria.
Break out groups made a start mapping tourism assets.
Follow the LEADER
After a networking lunch we heard about how businesses can access over £4m of funding through the area’s two LEADER programmes – North Pennine Dales and Solway, Border and Eden.
Representatives from tourism businesses, destination management organisations, tourism networks and conservation organisations came together at Melmerby Village Hall (Eden District, Cumbria) to discuss the future for product development in the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and UNESCO Global Geopark.
- International marketing – working through the Northern Tourism Growth Fund by Colette Walker (Blue Sail Marketing)
- Roof of England – Developing and promoting tourism activity in the North Pennines by Cameron Gordon (Roof of England)
- Product development for the Fellfoot Forward Landscape Partnership Scheme by Katharine Birdsall (North Pennines AONB Partnership)
- Presenting the Nine Standards Rigg crowdfunding campaign by Alistair Lockett (North Pennines AONB Partnership)
- How can the LEADER programme support tourism opportunities in the North Pennines AONB by PJ Harding and Sam Bramwell (LEADER Co-ordinators)
The seminar was hosted by the North Pennines AONB Partnership at Melmerby Village Hall.
Contact Shane Harris (Responsible Tourism Lead) on 01388 528801 (firstname.lastname@example.org).