Built around 1805 to house a Cornish pumping engine which kept the network of lead mines operating underneath from flooding.
Towards the end of its industrial life in the 1840s, an enormous steam engine was installed in a final attempt to keep the mines dry enough to work. Following decommissioning, the engine house was converted to a series of flats for mining families. It was finally abandoned around 100 years ago and has been derelict ever since. The Engine House is a dramatic reminder of a once thriving lead mining community of 170 people. The population declined after the mid-1800s when cheaper lead began to be imported from abroad, and young Shildon families emigrated to the goldmining areas of Australia and America.
Work carried out:
Clearance of vegetation, consolidation of loose stonework, capping of mineshaft. On-site interpretation will be installed.