The turbulent days of the Border Reivers are evoked by Ninebanks Tower.
The sandstone tower is all that remains above ground of a large medieval house, to which the tower seems to have been added in about 1520. The four storey tower has inverted shields on a second floor window lintel which possibly relate to Sir Thomas Dacre (1515 – 1526). Ninebanks is not classed as a defensible structure as the walls are considered too thin; it may have served as a lookout.
Work carried out
Re-pointing and consolidation. It is planned that the tower will be open occasionally for organised guided tours.