Buying locally produced food or crafts is a great way to help the North Pennines prosper.
There’s lots of local products and produce to choose from … moorland lamb, speciality sausages, dry cured bacon, candles, mustard, game, cheeses, organic soups, jams, jellies, chutneys, speciality breads, bespoke furniture, chopping boards… the list is practically endless!
There are many farmers’ markets to visit across the North Pennines; from Brampton in Cumbria, to Hexham in Northumberland and Stanhope in County Durham.
If buying and eating locally sourced and cooked food is your thing then why not take a look at and follow our two tasty trails: Tasty Trails – in and around Teesdale and Tasty Trails – Weardale & Derwent Valley!
Art, crafts and the landscape
The landscapes of the North Pennines have a rich association with artists and writers – past, present and future. You’ll also find a wealth of craft workers – pottery, textiles, candles, wood and metal work to name a few – in and around the AONB.
- Allendale Forge Studios – Arts centre in the centre of Allendale in the East Allen valley
- Allenheads Contemporary Arts – Studio and exhibition facilities based in the old schoolhouse
- Alston Artists – Art trails of open studios, exhibitions and other events around Alston Moor
- Alston Craft Workers – Group of six designer/makers living and working within a 15 mile radius of Alston
- Ann Whitfield – Painter in acrylics, watercolours and mixed media. Based in Teesdale
- Anne Mason – Anne paints landscapes and country scenes from Teesdale and the North Pennines
- Eden Arts – Arts development agency
- Lionel Playford – Garrigill-based painter who draws his inspiration from the hills, valleys and skies of the North Pennines
- Made in Cumbria – Craft, giftware and food producers
- Made in Northumberland – Celebrating the very best of Northumberland
- Network Artists – North East – Network of artists in the North East of England
- North Pennines Wool Group – Group dedicated to raising the profile of local wool
- Phil Townsend – North Pennines Sculpture – Phil designs and makes outdoor sculpture
The following settlements have local markets:
- Monday: Kirkby Stephen, Stanhope (April-October)
- Tuesday: Hexham, Penrith
- Wednesday: Barnard Castle, Brampton
- Thursday: Haltwhistle
- Saturday: Appleby