We have supported the conservation and enhancement of our landscapes and geodiversity through direct activity on the ground, engagement with the development and strategic planning process, promotion of guidance, and the development of new partnerships.
This page provides a summary of our work in this area during the 2013-14 financial year.
- Produced the 2014-19 AONB Management Plan, on behalf of our five local authorities, on which the duty is placed.
- Provided strong technical advice and comment in relation to planning applications and policy. This has included providing support and input to the Allendale Neighbourhood Development Plan process.
- Secured £1.7m of Heritage Lottery funding towards our £2.5m Allen Valleys Landscape Partnership Scheme.
Some of our achievements this year:
- We commented on over 40 planning applications and scoping studies and provided pre-application advice to developers.
Cable undergrounding work has continued in partnership with the Distribution Network Organisations, through the second round of funding for Protected Landscapes as part of the Distribution Network Price Control Review.
- Work has progressed on a scheme in Newbiggin, Cumbria with Electricity North West.
- With Northern Powergrid we have carried out development work for schemes across County Durham and Northumberland, including completion of cable undergrounding in Teesdale and Weardale.
- We have also been involved in the national process that will see the scheme continue for a further eight years, resulting in an additional £2m of investment for this work within the AONB.
Allen Valleys Landscape Partnership Scheme
With support from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) we have developed an ambitious Landscape Partnership Scheme for the Allen Valleys.
- A Partnership Board made up of local organisations and regional agencies has guided the development process which involved consultation with many Allen Valleys organisations and hundreds of individuals, and which has resulted in a £2.5m scheme with a £1.7m grant from HLF.
- The scheme will conserve and restore natural and built heritage, and will make the most of this heritage for the local community and visitor economy.