Tourism businesses in the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) and UNESCO Global Geopark are being offered workshops to help them get to know the special qualities of their local area.
‘Know Your Geopark’ is a series of free events that will introduce people to the geological, natural and cultural heritage of the North Pennines. They will include talks, discussions and hands-on activities which will help anyone working in tourism to share the highlights of the AONB and Geopark with their visitors. There will also be a series of visits to attractions and sites of interest across the area.
The workshops will be delivered by members of the staff unit at the North Pennines AONB Partnership, with input from geologists, archaeologists, astronomers, and historians.
Naomi Foster, Geology Projects Officer at the North Pennines AONB Partnership, said: “We’re really excited to be working with tourism businesses through this workshop programme.
“This will be a great way to get to know their local and wider area over the winter months, ready to launch into a new tourism season armed with knowledge about why the North Pennines is such a special place to visit.”
The sessions run from 11am to 3pm on the following dates:
- Introduction and Geology: includes input from Dr Stuart Jones, Durham University 16 January 2019, Barrington Hall, St. John’s Chapel, Upper Weardale
- Cultural Heritage: dig deeper into human stories past and present 30 January 2019, Strathmore Arms, Holwick, Upper Teesdale
- Exploring Geology: getting out and about to see familiar features of the landscape in a new way 13 February 2019, Bowlees Visitor Centre, Upper Teesdale
- Mining in the North Pennines: an overground and underground tour to discover the visitor experience 27 February 2019, Killhope Lead Mining Museum, Upper Weardale
- Natural Heritage: find out more about our distinctive wildlife and dark skies 13 March 2019, Allenheads Contemporary Art, The Old Schoolhouse, Allenheads
‘Know Your Geopark’ is being delivered through the Earthworks geology project, funded by National Lottery players through the Heritage Lottery Fund, and also through the Interreg Atlantic Area programme through the European Regional Development Fund.
Places are limited and booking is essential. People can book for the whole programme, or for individual workshops. Lunch will be provided. For more information please contact Naomi Foster, Geology Projects Officer, on 01388 528801, or email email@example.com
You can also book places online at http://www.northpennines.org.uk/events-calendar/know-your-geopark-full-workshop-programme-booking/